Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare by emailContact Exhibitor
|Artist Name||Andrew Nicholl (1804-1886)|
|Title||View of Clifden, Connemara, with the Twelve Pins beyond|
|Date of Artwork||circa 1850|
|Medium||Watercolour over pencil, heightened with white|
|Size||19 2/3 x 27 2/3 in. • 504 x 707 mm|
|Signed||Signed lower right: A. Nicholl R.H.A.|
This is a view of the town of Clifden, Co. Galway from the west. Beyond are the mountains known as the Twelve Pins or Twelve Pins of Connemara. Clifden was built by the owner of the land John D'Arcy in 1812. The first church in Clifden, St Mary's, visible on the hill to the left, was built in 1824 by the Rev. Myles Prendergast with the help of D'Arcy. It was replaced by a new church between 1853 and 1864. It was joined by the nearby St Joseph's church in 1879.