Old Covent Garden Market, as it appeared on the morning previous to Christmas Day, 1828
Guy Peppiatt Fine Art Ltd
Huon Mallalieu, Dictionary of British Watercolour Artists up to 1920, vol. II, 2002, illustrated p.169</p
Royal Academy, 1830, no. 534, as `Old Covent Garden Market, as it appeared on the morning previous to Christmas Day, 1828′</p
The fruit and vegetable market started in the centre of the square in the mid seventeenth century and by the 1760s it had taken over most of the area. By the end of the century it had become `the greatest market in England for herbs, fruit and flowers' but by the 1820s complaints about the noise and congestion led to an Act of Parliament being passed in 1828 giving the 6th Earl of Bedford the power to demolish the existing buildings and erect a purpose-built market. This was designed by Charles Fowler and completed in 1830 and is the present building on the site. It continued as the principal fruit and vegetable market in the country until it moved to Nine Elms in 1973.
Shepherd came from a family of artists who specialised in topographical views especially of London, many of whom were engraved for books or similar publications. For more on the artist, see Bill Hoade, George Shepherd - Art & Life, 1784-1862), The Sarsen Press, 2021.